ThunderCats Reels of Thundera: Review
The ’80s animated cult show ThunderCats holds a special place in the hearts of many. The series follows a band of catlike humanoid aliens by the name of Lion-O, Tygra, Panthro, Cheetara, Wilykat, and Wilykit. Having escaped their destroyed planet for another world, they must find a way to make it their new home while thwarting various evildoers. Originally produced in Japan using American voice actors, the show was bought up and folded into Warner Bros in 1989 who still owns the right to the franchise.
Having sealed the deal with Warner Bros, Blueprint Gaming now expands its already extensive portfolio of branded slots by adding ThunderCats Reel of Thundera to the list, a game built on the same template as other titles in the studios nostalgic collection of branded slots such as The Goonies, Mars Attacks!, and Beavis and Butt-Head. If you’ve played any of said games, you’ll know what to expect. Utilising 5 reels and 20 paylines, it comes with plenty of random base game features, loads of bonuses and a feature gamble only for the bold. ThunderCats Reel of Thundera can be played from as little as 10 cents up to 200€ per spin, which makes it suitable for low-rollers, high-rollers and everyone in between.
The overall production quality here is outstanding. The game comes with cartoon style artwork in line with the original series that will make any fan of ThunderCats wet themselves. With a sea of molten lava in the background and with catchy high-tempo music to set the right mood, on the reels you’ll see J, Q, K, and A royals along with surfboards, nunchakus, ThunderTanks, swords and the ThunderCats logo. The latter, which appear super stacked on the reels, is the most rewarding giving you 50 times your stake for 5 on a full payline. The wild symbols substitutes for all other symbols bar the scatter and is of the same value as the top symbol.
ThunderCats Reels of Thundera: Features
In the base game, the Awaken the Eye if Thundera can trigger randomly during any spin to give you 1 of 6 reel modifiers. This is what you can expect:
- Lion-O – applies wilds to the reels, significantly increasing the chance of a winning combination.
- Tygra – swipes the reels with a chance to turn them wild, any winning combination retriggers the feature.
- Panthro – strikes the reels linking between 2 to 5 reels together to deliver the same symbols.
- Cheetara – dashes over the reels and shuffles all symbols in view to new positions. This feature can retrigger up to 5 times.
- Wily Kit and Wily Kat – will apply Mystery Symbols onto the reels which all transform into the same symbol.
- Snarf – will apply scatter symbols to the reels, significantly improving the chance of activating the bonus.
Moreover, four additional reel modifiers can trigger following a losing spin which can give you five of a kind wins, upgraded symbols, and symbol removals.
Keep an eye out for the ThunderCats logo which is the bonus scatter symbol – 3 or more in view will trigger the bonus wheel which will eventually stop on 1 of the 6 bonus features. Worth noting is that we found the wheel to be disproportionally weighted, usually stopping on the two lowest ranking bonuses. Either way, once your bonus has been awarded, you’re now offered the opportunity to gamble it in hope to win a better one with the risk having to walk away with a cash prize instead, or accept what you’ve been given. Once underway, this is what you can expect in the bonuses:
- Sight Beyond Sight – Pick an Eye of Thundera to reveal one of four outcomes: Lion-O (Cash Multiplier is increased); Thundercats Logo (Cash Multiplier values are upgraded); Mumm-Ra (will end the feature); Thundertank (takes you to another bonus). You can trigger any one of the five other bonuses if the ThunderTank comes up three times.
- The Black Pyramid – Here you get to select from emblems to reveal one of three outcomes. Lion-O (will move your marker along the pyramid); Thundercats Logo (upgrades the bonus at the top of The Black Pyramid); Mumm-Ra (will end the feature). Landing on an arrow will move you up The Black Pyramid – reach the top to trigger another feature.
- The Ever-Living: Free Spins – A multiplier visible on screen selects a random value on each spin between x2 – x5, multiplying any winning combination by the chosen value. During any spin, if two or more Special Mumm-Ra symbols appear in view, additional Ever-Living Spins will be awarded. During the retrigger, the multiplier randomly selects a value between x6 – x10 on each spin.
- Hear The Roar: Free Spins – During any spin, if a special Lion-O symbol appears in view, it will upgrade another symbol indicated by the image next to the reels. This can happen up to four times. When the free spins come to an end, you’ll have a chance to win extra spins. Picking an Eye of Thundera will either end the feature or award additional spins.
- Thundercats Hooo! Free Spins – Any wild that appears in view will be held until the feature ends. Five extra spins are rewarded if you fill a whole reel with wilds.
- Ancient Spirits of Evil – Triggered by landing 5 scatter symbols, gambling to, or if the bonus wheel stops on the Ancient Spirits of Evil segment. The player selects from emblems to reveal one of five outcomes. Lion-O (will spin the wheel); Thundercats Logo (will move you to the next ring); Mumm-Ra (the feature ends); Red Arrow (more red arrows are added to the wheel); Upgrade (values on the wheel are increased). Landing on a cash value will replace that section of the wheel with a red arrow. Landing on a red arrow will move you to the next ring. Reaching the centre of the wheel will award the Ultimate Thunder bonus.
- Ultimate Thunder Bonus – Your total winnings from Ancient Spirits of Evil will be transferred to the Ultimate Thunder bonus. Here you will get to pick one of the ThunderCats to reveal a multiplier which will then be applied to your winnings.
ThunderCats Reels of Thundera: Verdict
We’d be lying if we said we weren’t disappointed when realizing ThunderCats Reels of Thundera is merely a reskin of The Goonies and other branded slots released by Blueprint. If those games didn’t win you over, neither will this one. If, however, you’re not too bothered by the obvious similarities in gameplay, and if you’re particularly fond of these multi-bonus, feature-heavy slots that Blueprint has learned to master so well, you will undoubtedly get a kick out of playing this one.
The various modifiers are well designed, the soundtrack is impressive to say the least, and the bright colours and inviting animation make it an all-around thrilling slot to play. A superb adaptation, ThunderCats Reels of Thundera accurately captures the fast-paced action of the series while also offering great potential of up to 10,000 times your total stake.